ValMolRepro II - Validation of a Mollusc Reproduction Test
The aim of the project is to support the development of draft OECD test guidelines for reproduction tests with molluscs. These are urgently needed as an internationally accepted standard test method for regulatory purposes. The project includes planning, coordination and experimental contributions to the validation of respective proposals. To this end the reproduction test developed in the previous UBA project ValMolRepro (FKZ 3708 61 402)with the freshwater mudsnail Potamopyrgus antipodarum should be further developed as an OECD test guideline draft and a corresponding international ring test will be planned, coordinated and carried out.
As an extension of the reproduction test with Potamopyrgus we will investigate the possibility to develop a 'full life cycle', including the establishment of a 'standard operating procedure' (SOP) as the basis of a subsequent validation.
A third aspect of the project ValMolRepro II is our participation in an international OECD ring test with the pond snail Lymnaea stagnalis.
- Duft M, Schmitt C, Bachmann J, Brandelik C, Schulte-Oehlmann U, Oehlmann J (2007): Prosobranch snails as test organisms for the assessment of endocrine active chemicals - an overview and a guideline proposal for a reproduction test with the freshwater mudsnail Potamopyrgus antipodarum. Ecotoxicology 16, 169-182.
- Oehlmann J, Di Benedetto P, Tillmann M, Duft M, Oetken M, Schulte-Oehlmann U (2007): Endocrine disruption in prosobranch molluscs: Evidence and ecological relevance. Ecotoxicology 16, 29-43.
- Matthiessen P, Oehlmann J, Schulte-Oehlmann U, Sieratowicz A (2010): Detailed Review Paper (DRP) on Molluscs Life-Cycle Toxicity Testing. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris. (= OECD Series on Testing and Assessment No. 121). 182 pp.
- Sieratowicz A, Stange D, Schulte-Oehlmann U, Oehlmann J (2011): Reproductive toxicity of bisphenol A and cadmium in Potamopyrgus antipodarum and modulation of bisphenol A effects by different test temperature. Environ. Pollut. 159, 2766-2774.
- Stange D, Sieratowicz A, Horres R, Oehlmann J (2012): Freshwater mudsnail (Potamopyrgus antipodarum) estrogen receptor: Identification and expression analysis under exposure to (xeno-)hormones. Ecotox. Environ. Saf. 75, 94–101.
Prof. Dr. Jörg Oehlmann
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt
Department Aquatic Ecotoxicology
D-60054 Frankfurt am Main
phone ++ 49-69 79824738
fax ++ 49-69 79824748